Ham and Bean Soup
If you like ham and bean soup but don't want to spend hours in the kitchen, this tasty and timely version prepared by our Test Kitchen will leave you with a satisfied smile.
7 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- In a large saucepan, saute the carrots, celery and onion in butter
- until tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cook for 15 minutes or until heated through. Discard
- bay leaf. Yield: 7 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 168 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 1,242 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 12 g protein.