Ham and Bean Soup
When I was a cook in a restaurant years ago, this was our best-selling soup. One taste and your family will agree it's a winner!
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 3/4 pound fully cooked ham, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup diced peeled potatoes
- 3/4 cup diced carrots
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, saute the ham, onion and garlic in butter until
- onion is tender. Add the next seven ingredients; cover and simmer
- for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add peas and cook for
- 5 minutes longer or until heated through. Stir in parsley. Yield: 8
- servings (about 2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 185 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 1,079 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 13 g protein.