Ham and Bean Chowder Recipe
- 1 pound dried great northern beans
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2-in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain beans and discard liquid. In the same kettle, saute onion, celery and garlic in butter until tender. Add beans, ham bone, water, broth, tomatoes, bay leaves, cloves and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Remove ham bone, bay leaves and cloves. When cool enough to handle, remove ham from bone; cut into small pieces and return to soup. Chill for 8 hours or overnight.
- Skim fat from soup. Stir in milk; cool on low until heated through. Just before serving, stir in cheese. Yield: 12-14 servings (3-1/4 quarts).
Reviews for Ham and Bean Chowder(11)
Sort By :
This was so simple and tasty. My family really loved the thick creaminess of the soup. I can't think of anything I would change.
I have been making this for years and everyone always asks for the recipe
Nice and creamy and very satisfying. Looking forward to making it again this winter.
By far the best bean soup recipe ever!
This was my first try at any homemade bean soup. So easy to make, and such great flavor.
I did 'tweek' this recipe, as I had 2 ham bones and used more onion and garlic than called for. I also threw in 2 beef bouillon cubes, and of course, some ex-tra cheese. I also used some bacon fat instead of butter. Yes.. all my 'tweeks' added to the over all fat content, but my husband and I eat only small portions, along with a sandwich and salad... a wonderfully tasty complete meal.
I highly recommend this recipe.
More Recipe Collections
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chowder Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Soup Recipes >
- Grand Prize Winning Recipes >