This has become a famous dish around our house! I like to make it for company, and friends are always asking me for the recipe. It's so versatile. You can serve it with fish, ham, turkey or chicken. My hobby is collecting recipes. I've put together 12 large notebook-sized books of them over the years—in alphabetical order. Asparagus is up front, of course! My husband and I were both raised on farms. We're retired now and enjoying life on our place surrounded by trees, birds and squirrels.
- 6 slices baked ham
- 24 asparagus spears, cooked and drained
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Finely chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Wrap each ham slice around 4 asparagus spears and place seam side down in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking pan. Beat together eggs, yolks, cream, salt and pepper. Pour over ham rolls.
- Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until top begins to brown and the tip of a knife inserted in the egg mixture comes out clean. Sprinkle with cheeses and parsley if desired. Serve immediately. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Ham and Asparagus Au Gratin in Country Woman March/April 1991, p31
Reviews for Ham and Asparagus Au Gratin
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review