Ham and Apple Skillet Recipe
- 3 cups frozen O'Brien potatoes, thawed
- 1 large apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup diced fully cooked lean ham
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. Press potatoes between paper towels to remove moisture; set aside. In a nonstick ovenproof skillet, cook the apple, onion and sage in water over medium heat until apple and onion are tender. Stir in potatoes and ham; heat through. Sprinkle with half of the cheese. Remove from the heat.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and salt; pour over potato mixture (do not stir). Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until the center is set and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving equals 242 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 157 mg cholesterol, 541 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 16 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit.