"Here are all the breakfast favorites—hash browns, eggs, ham and cheese—baked together in one pan," notes Patty Kile from Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania. Reduced-fat cheese, fat-free milk and lean meat help trim the fat, while chopped apple adds a hint of sweetness to this easy-to-fix skillet breakfasts.
Recommended: 38 Cast-Iron Skillet Recipes
- 3 cups frozen O'Brien potatoes, thawed
- 1 large apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup diced fully cooked lean ham
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Press potatoes between paper towels to remove moisture; set aside. In a nonstick ovenproof skillet, cook the apple, onion and sage in water over medium heat until apple and onion are tender. Stir in potatoes and ham; heat through. Sprinkle with half of the cheese. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and salt; pour over potato mixture (do not stir). Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until the center is set and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Ham and Apple Skillet in Light & Tasty April/May 2003, p5
Reviews for Ham and Apple Skillet
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review