Ham a la King with Peas Recipe
My mom and I used to have a catering business, and this Ham a la King recipe was a popular choice from our menu. It looks elegant on the plate and always gets rave reviews. Being able to make the sauce a day ahead is a big plus. —Jean Grubb, Bastrop, Texas
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 20 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen puff pastry shells
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3 slices process American cheese
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed, optional
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 tablespoons diced pimientos
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1. Bake pastry shells according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Dissolve bouillon in water. Gradually add milk and bouillon to the saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Reduce heat; add the cheese, Worcestershire sauce and mustard. Stir until cheese is melted. Add the ham, peas if desired, olives, pimientos and parsley; heat through. Serve in pastry shells. Yield: 6 servings.
1 filled pastry shell equals 487 calories, 31 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 1,232 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 17 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC