Ham, Red beans and Rice Recipe
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) spicy stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 to 5 dashes hot pepper sauce
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. In large saucepan, combine all ingredients except rice. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Serve over rice. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 cup: 118 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 947mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein .
Reviews for Ham, Red beans and Rice
"I made a smaller portion using only one can of red beans in case it didn't turn out well. However, my picky husband loved this meal. I used leftover ham from a baked ham. I did not have any cumin, so I did without it. I also substituted the hot pepper sauce with a dash of Silvia's Sizzlin' Hot Spice. My husband literally licked his plate clean."