Ham 'n' Swiss with a Twist Recipe
To satisfy hearty appetites, try this different take on a grilled ham and cheese. “The apples give it a sweet taste twist,” relates Marietta Slater of Augusta, Kansas. TIP: “Using rye bread is a delicious alternative,” Marietta notes.
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 8 slices Texas toast
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli ham
- 1 medium apple, sliced
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook onion in 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- 2. Spread remaining butter over one side of each slice of Texas toast. Place slices, buttered side down, on a griddle. Spread with mustard; layer with ham, apple, onion and cheese. Top with another slice of toast, buttered side up. Cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully turn; cook 2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 510 calories, 26 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 1,414 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 23 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC