Ham 'n' Swiss with a Twist Recipe
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 8 slices Texas toast
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli ham
- 1 medium apple, sliced
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- In a large skillet, cook onion in 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Spread remaining butter over one side of each slice of Texas toast. Place slices, buttered side down, on a griddle. Spread with mustard; layer with ham, apple, onion and cheese. Top with another slice of toast, buttered side up. Cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully turn; cook 2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Ham 'n' Swiss with a Twist
Sort By :
This has a very good flavor combination, better than plain old hot ham & cheese sandwiches. Other than turning them over without losing the filling, they're really easy to make. I think I'll try Marietta Slater's tip next time and use a thinner bread. The Texas toast made such a tall sandwich that the first side cooled off while browning the second side. Maybe my griddle heat was too low. I was afraid of burning them if I turned it up.
I loved this sandwich. I used sweet onion and cooked until really carmelized. I also used Braeburn apples...Delicious.