Ham 'n' Swiss Strudel Recipe
- 1-1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 12 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 4 ounces thinly sliced deli ham, julienned
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss Cheese
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1. In a saucepan, bring broth to a boil; add rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until tender; add to rice.
- 2. Melt remaining butter. Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface; brush with butter. Layer with remaining phyllo and butter (keep dough covered with waxed paper until ready to use). Spoon rice mixture over dough to within 1 in. of edges. Sprinkle with ham, cheese and paprika.
- 3. Fold short sides 1 in. over filling. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Brush with remaining butter.
- 4. Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before slicing. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 piece: 278 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 461mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein .
Reviews for Ham 'n' Swiss Strudel
"Although we enjoyed this strudel and would certainly make it again, the directions were not quite clear for making the rice. I'm assuming you are to add the 1 tbsp. of butter to the broth and rice when cooking it. I'm also assuming you are to add the onions to the cooked rice. The directions did not say this. Other than that, the strudel was very tasty and something a little different."
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer