Ham 'n' Swiss Pie Mix Recipe
"I am never without a batch of this mix in cupboard," writes Martha Warner of Lacombe, Alberta. "One of my favorite ways to use it is in a savory pie made with leftover meat and vegetables. But try it in any recipe that calls for biscuit mix."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + standing YIELD:36 servings
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup shortening
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (FOR EACH PIE):
- 2 cups diced fully cooked ham
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- Dash pepper
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Stir in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 6 batches (about 6 cups mix).
- 2. To prepare pie: In a bowl, combine the ham, cheese and onions. Transfer to a greased 9-in. pie plate. In a bowl, combine the eggs, milk, mustard, pepper and 1 cup mix; beat just until blended. Pour over ham mixture. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 326 calories, 19 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 156 mg cholesterol, 887 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 21 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC