"I am never without a batch of this mix in cupboard," writes Martha Warner of Lacombe, Alberta. "One of my favorite ways to use it is in a savory pie made with leftover meat and vegetables. But try it in any recipe that calls for biscuit mix."
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup shortening
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (FOR EACH PIE):
- 2 cups diced fully cooked ham
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- Dash pepper
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Stir in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 6 batches (about 6 cups mix).
- To prepare pie: In a bowl, combine the ham, cheese and onions. Transfer to a greased 9-in. pie plate. In a bowl, combine the eggs, milk, mustard, pepper and 1 cup mix; beat just until blended. Pour over ham mixture. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Ham 'N' Swiss Pie Mix in Quick Cooking July/August 2004, p47
Reviews for Ham 'n' Swiss Pie Mix
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review