Ham 'n' Swiss Monte Cristo Recipe
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 slices bread
- 1 slice (1 ounce) deli ham
- 1 slice (1 ounce) Swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- 1. Spread mustard over one side of each slice of bread, then layer with ham and cheese; top with remaining bread.
- 2. In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, water and egg until smooth. Dip sandwich on both sides in egg mixture. Cook in a skillet coated with cooking spray until browned, about 2 minutes on each side. Yield: 1 serving.
1 sandwich equals 319 calories, 13 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 121 mg cholesterol, 1,153 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 19 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 medium-fat meat.