Ham 'n' Potato Bake Recipe
With meat, potatoes and other vegetables, this comforting casserole is a welcome addition to a buffet meal. It's one of my favorite potluck dishes.—Dixie Terry, Goreville, Illinois
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. YIELD:10 servings
- 2 pounds red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon each pepper and dried thyme
- 2-1/4 cups milk
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1-1/2 pounds fully cooked ham slices, cut into strips
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen sliced carrots, cooked and drained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1. Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute onion and peppers in oil until tender. Stir in the flour, pepper and thyme until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in 1 cup cheese and mustard until cheese is melted. Fold in the potatoes, ham, carrots and parsley.
- 3. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Yield: 10 servings.
One serving (1-1/4 cups) equals 380 calories, 18 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 380 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 22 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC