"I cook for my husband and son, and they love this hearty dish," notes Elsie Epp from her home in Newton, Kansas. A homemade cream gravy is served with hot mashed potatoes and leftover ham for a stick-to-your-ribs meal. "My family always makes short work of this comforting food," she notes.
- 4 thick ham slices (about 1 pound)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup water
- Hot mashed potatoes
- In a large skillet, brown ham in oil; remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute onion until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in milk and water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with ham and mashed potatoes. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Ham 'N' Onion Gravy in Quick Cooking March/April 2005, p48
Reviews for Ham 'N' Onion Gravy
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review