Ham 'n' Egg Sandwich Recipe
Whenever the whole family gets together for a holiday or long weekend, they request this all-in-one breakfast sandwich. I can feed everyone by stacking ham, tomato, scrambled eggs, onion and cheese inside a loaf of French bread. Then I simply pop it in the oven to warm up. —DeeDee Newton, Toronto, Ontario
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- 1 unsliced loaf (1 pound) French bread
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 8 thin slices deli ham
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 slices cheddar cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Cut bread in half lengthwise; carefully hollow out top and bottom, leaving 1/2-in. shells (discard removed bread or save for another use). Spread 3 tablespoons butter and all of the mayonnaise inside bread shells. Line bottom bread shell with ham; top with tomato and onion.
- 2. In a large skillet, melt remaining butter; add eggs. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until edges are almost set.
- 3. Spoon into bottom bread shell; top with cheese. Cover with bread top. Wrap in greased foil. Bake 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Cut into serving-size pieces. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 543 calories, 31 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 298 mg cholesterol, 1,644 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 32 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC