Ham 'n' Egg Cream Puffs Recipe
“I’ve had this yummy, change-of-pace recipe for leftover ham so long, I can’t remember where it originated,” recalls Barbara Kemmer in Rohnert Park, California. “But my husband simply loves it!”
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 5 teaspoons butter
- 5 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 hard-cooked egg, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon diced pimientos, optional
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring water and butter to a boil. Add flour all at once; stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add egg; beat well. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny. Stir in caraway seeds.
- 2. Drop by rounded 1/4 cupfuls 3 in. apart onto a greased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack. Immediately split puffs open; discard soft dough from inside. Cool.
- 3. For filling, in a saucepan, melt butter; stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Add ham, hard-cooked egg, green pepper and pimientos if desired; heat through. Spoon into puffs; replace tops. Yield: 2 servings.
1 serving equals 518 calories, 34 g fat (18 g saturated fat), 315 mg cholesterol, 1,378 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 26 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC