Ham 'n' Egg Cream Puffs Recipe
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 5 teaspoons butter
- 5 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 hard-cooked egg, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon diced pimientos, optional
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring water and butter to a boil. Add flour all at once; stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add egg; beat well. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny. Stir in caraway seeds.
- 2. Drop by rounded 1/4 cupfuls 3 in. apart onto a greased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack. Immediately split puffs open; discard soft dough from inside. Cool.
- 3. For filling, in a saucepan, melt butter; stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Add ham, hard-cooked egg, green pepper and pimientos if desired; heat through. Spoon into puffs; replace tops. Yield: 2 servings.
1 each: 518 calories, 34g fat (18g saturated fat), 315mg cholesterol, 1378mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 26g protein
Reviews for Ham 'n' Egg Cream Puffs
"My husband said this is amazing! Great texture with the puffed pastry. Also I took some of the other reviewers recommendations and added cheddar cheese and hot sauce. Next time I would add like to try sausage gravy in these vessels. I also used reduced fat cheese and fat free skim milk."
"Ham and egg cream puffs turn out so beautifully, it's one my family requests every chance they get. It's one we'll be making many more times and it's definitely going in my recipe box."
"Absolutely awesome tasting for left over ham. It is so simple to make if you follow the directions. My husband and I love cheese with ham and eggs, so I usually throw in about a 8 ounces of Kraft Classic Melt cheese. If you want a "little kick", I have also splashed a couple drops of Tabasco in the sauce while the cheese is melting."