I like to prepare this breakfast bake when I have ham leftovers and day-old bread on hand. It's a delicious brunch dish. I love that it's prepared the night before, which allows me to focus on making other dishes for the meal. —Elizabeth Hesse, Springville, New York
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 10 slices white bread, cubed
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 pound process American cheese, cubed
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- In a large skillet, saute green pepper in butter until tender. Remove green pepper, reserving drippings. Combine the green pepper, bread and ham; place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Add cheese to drippings; cook and stir over low heat until cheese melts. Pour over bread mixture. Whisk the eggs, milk and mustard; pour over cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Ham 'n' Egg Casserole in Reminisce May/June 1997, p49
Reviews for Ham 'n' Egg Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 4, 2010
"Very good recipe as written. Can add any veggies you like."