Ham 'n' Egg Casserole Recipe
I LIKE to prepare this when I have leftovers of ham and day-old bread on hand. It's a delicious dish for brunch. Besides being so tasty, it's prepared the night before, which allows me more time to complete other dishes for the meal. This dish still tastes good hours after being baked, so it's also a favorite to take along for potluck gatherings. -Elizabeth Hesse, Springville, New York
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 10 slices white bread, cubed
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 pound process American cheese, cubed
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- In a large skillet, saute green pepper in butter until tender. Remove green pepper, reserving drippings. Combine the green pepper, bread and ham; place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Add cheese to drippings; cook and stir over low heat until cheese melts. Pour over bread mixture. Whisk the eggs, milk and mustard; pour over cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Ham 'n' Egg Casserole in Reminisce May/June 1997, p49
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Ham 'n' Egg Casserole(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review