Ham 'N' Corn Fritters
Here's an old-fashioned recipe that's welcome at any meal. The pretty golden fritters are a perfect addition to a down-home breakfast or brunch in place of typical pancakes. You'll be amazed at how quickly they disappear. —Nelda Cronbaugh, Belle Plaine, Iowa
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + standing Cook: 15 min.
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn, cooked and drained
- 1 cup chopped fully cooked ham
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Separate eggs; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a
- large bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened. Beat in milk.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and pepper; add to
- yolk mixture and mix well. Stir in corn and ham.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks
- form. Fold into the corn mixture.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop
- batter by heaping tablespoonfuls, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry
- until golden brown, about 1 minute on each side, turning with a
- slotted spoon. Drain on paper towels. Yield: 2 dozen.