Ham 'n' Chickpea Soup Recipe
Chock-full of ham, vegetables, chickpeas and orzo, this hearty soup is loaded with good-for-you flavor. Linda Arnold sends the recipe from her Edmonton, Alberta kitchen.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 1/2 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked lean ham
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1. Cook orzo according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute onion in oil for 3 minutes. Add the ham, garlic, rosemary and sage; saute 1 minute longer. Stir in broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- 2. Drain orzo; stir into soup. Add chickpeas; heat through. Sprinkle each serving with cheese and parsley. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/2 cups equals 312 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 1,015 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 18 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC