- 1/2 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked lean ham
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Cook orzo according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute onion in oil for 3 minutes. Add the ham, garlic, rosemary and sage; saute 1 minute longer. Stir in broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Drain orzo; stir into soup. Add chickpeas; heat through. Sprinkle each serving with cheese and parsley. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Ham 'n' Chickpea Soup
Sort By :
"Let me preface my review with saying that I typically like the comfort food diet recipes. However, I fail to see how this should be considered "healthy" when the sodium content tops out at over 1000 mg. I made this today and ended up throwing out the whole thing. It was way too salty. (And yes, I rinsed my chickpeas and used reduced sodium products.) I think the ham was just too much. IF I were to make this again, I would use cubed rotisserie chicken."