Ham 'n' Cheese Strata Recipe
- 12 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 1 pound fully cooked ham, diced
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup crushed cornflakes
- 1. Arrange six slices of bread in the bottom of a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with ham and cheese. Cover with remaining bread.
- 2. In a bowl, beat eggs, milk, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt, pepper and cayenne. Stir in onion and green pepper; pour over all. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 3. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Pour butter over bread; sprinkle with cornflakes. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 each: 375 calories, 19g fat (11g saturated fat), 197mg cholesterol, 1081mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 23g protein
Reviews for Ham 'n' Cheese Strata
"Turned out great! It's almost like a giant ham & cheese omelette."
"Fantastic but needs more onions and peppers for my taste."
"I get so angry when people rate a recipe they have changed, but I didn't have a green pepper. I did have some leftover asparagus, so I chopped it up and added it. FANTASTIC!"
"We loved this. I left the cornflakes off and it was still great. A keeper"
"Very easy & very tasty! I loved that I had all the ingredients on hand. Perfect for morning, noon, or night."
"Made this for Christmas morning. Everyone loved it!"
"This is a delicious recipe. Wonderful flavor. I made it the night before and it made a lovely Sunday morning breakfast for my family. I made it w/o onions and green peppers, simply because I don't like cutting onions =) and don't care for green peppers. Still tasted delicious."