Ham 'n' Cheese Puffs
A full-time job, farm life and our kids' activities keep me on my toes, so I don't have time to prepare fancy dishes. These puffs are a real down-home delight and appeal to everyone.
18 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup finely chopped fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Warm prepared cheese sauce, optional
- In a large heavy saucepan over medium heat, bring water and butter to
- a boil. Add flour and mustard all at once; stir until a smooth ball
- forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one
- at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat until smooth. Stir
- in the ham and cheese (cheese does not have to melt).
- Drop batter by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm
- or cold with cheese sauce for dipping if desired. Yield: about
- 4-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3 each) equals 111 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 184 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.