Ham 'n' Cheese Pasta
“My mother would prepare this yummy comfort food whenever there was leftover ham,” recalls Karen Kopp from Indianapolis, Indiana. “Horseradish gives it a nice tangy taste. I quickened the preparation by using process cheese instead of making a cheese sauce from scratch. Now my kids love it, too. This recipe can easily be doubled,” she adds.
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 8 ounces uncooked medium pasta shells
- 1 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 package (8 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a
- microwave-safe bowl, combine cheese and milk. Cover and microwave on
- high for 2 minutes; stir. Heat 1-2 minutes longer or until smooth,
- stirring twice. Stir in ketchup and horseradish until blended.
- Drain pasta and place in a large bowl. Stir in the ham, peas and
- cheese sauce.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350°
- for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 761 calories, 36 g fat (20 g saturated fat), 114 mg cholesterol, 2,425 mg sodium, 63 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 47 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.