Ham 'n' Cheese Biscuit Twists
"I like to serve these tasty twists for lunch with split pea or vegetable soup and a fruit salad," says Marie Kramer, Kirkwood, Missouri. The cheese-enhanced biscuits filled with homemade or deli ham salad also make great snacks.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons shortening
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup ham salad or 1 can (4-1/4 ounces) deviled ham spread
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening
- until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cheese. Stir in
- milk just until moistened.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead 5-6 times. Roll into a 10-in. x
- 6-in. rectangle. Spread ham salad over half of dough. Fold dough
- over to form a 5-in. x 6-in. rectangle; seal edges with water. Cut
- into six 1-in. strips.
- Twist strips and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400°
- for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 480 calories, 27 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 58 mg cholesterol, 1,035 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 17 g protein.