Ham 'n' Cabbage Soup Recipe
Carolyn Bixenmann of Grand Island, Nebraska writes, “I tasted a soup similar to this in a restaurant and liked it so much I spent the entire next week trying to duplicate it. I came up with this, and now it's one of my family's favorites.”
- 1 small head cabbage, quartered
- 2 medium carrots, halved
- 2/3 cup butter
- 7 cups milk, divided
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 2/3 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 teaspoons Liquid Smoke, optional
- In a food processor, shred the cabbage. Transfer to a bowl. Shred the carrots; add to cabbage. Return half of the mixture to the food processor; cover and process until finely chopped.
- In a Dutch oven, saute all of the cabbage and carrots in butter for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Stir in 5 cups milk and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until heated through.
- Combine the flour, salt and remaining milk until smooth. Gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add ham and Liquid Smoke if desired. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
Originally published as Ham 'n' Cabbage Soup in Simple & Delicious March/April 2007, p45
Reviews for Ham 'n' Cabbage Soup(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review