Ham, Egg & Cheese Casserole Recipe
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound sliced smoked deli ham
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 14x10-in. rectangle. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; build up edges slightly.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until thickened. Stir in mustard, pepper, salt and nutmeg. Remove from heat: stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Place a third of the ham over the dough; top with 1 cup sauce and 2/3 cup Swiss cheese. Repeat layers twice. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes or until bubbly and crust is golden brown.
- Using the back of a tablespoon, make six indentations in top of casserole to within 2 in. of edges. Carefully break an egg into each indentation.
- Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until egg whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard. (If desired, bake an additional 5 minutes for firmer eggs.) Sprinkle with parsley. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Ham, Egg & Cheese Casserole(2)
Sort By :
Great flavor. I only made half of the cheese sauce. Anymore than half would have been too saucy. This was served to six and everyone had an egg. This reminded me of a pizza version of a fancy egg Mcmuffin.
Wonderful flavor, and great presentation. I put aluminum foil on top when the eggs were baking to make sure the egg whites cooked till no longer runny. There seemed to be a lot more sauce than needed, but I didn't let it go to waste, and with the extra, served it over biscuits the next day.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Ham >
- Breakfast Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Breakfast Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Ham Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Baking Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Breakfast Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Cheese Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Comfort Food Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Pork Recipes >