Ham, Egg & Cheese Casserole Recipe
I turned a French classic, croque madame, from a simple egg-topped grilled sandwich into an impossible-to-resist saucy casserole. Ham and cheese just got a little naughtier. —Melissa Millwood, Lyman, South Carolina
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Bake: 40 min. + standing YIELD:12 servings
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound sliced smoked deli ham
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 14x10-in. rectangle. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; build up edges slightly.
- 2. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until thickened. Stir in mustard, pepper, salt and nutmeg. Remove from heat: stir in Parmesan cheese.
- 3. Place a third of the ham over the dough; top with 1 cup sauce and 2/3 cup Swiss cheese. Repeat layers twice. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes or until bubbly and crust is golden brown.
- 4. Using the back of a tablespoon, make six indentations in top of casserole to within 2 in. of edges. Carefully break an egg into each indentation.
- 5. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until egg whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard. (If desired, bake an additional 5 minutes for firmer eggs.) Sprinkle with parsley. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece equals 405 calories, 23 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 176 mg cholesterol, 992 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 22 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC