Ham, Beef and Bacon Soup
I invented this recipe one evening when I wanted to serve soup, but had no time to shop—so I used whatever I had on hand. When my husband said, "Please make it again", I hurriedly wrote down the ingredient list!—Mrs. J.C. Mantel, Orange City, Iowa
12 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1/2 pound ground turkey or beef, browned and drained
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, cooked and drained
- 1/2 pound fully cooked ham, cubed
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) butter beans, drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (20 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 to 2 cups tomato juice, optional
- In a Dutch oven, combine beef, bacon, ham, beans, onion, mixed
- vegetables, broth, soup, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil;
- reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Season with additional salt and pepper if desired. If a thinner soup
- is preferred, stir in tomato juice. Yield: 10-12 servings (3
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 175 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 1,057 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 13 g protein.