- 3/4 pound fully cooked ham, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup diced peeled potatoes
- 3/4 cup diced carrots
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, saute the ham, onion and garlic in butter until onion is tender. Add the next seven ingredients; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add peas and cook for 5 minutes longer or until heated through. Stir in parsley. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Reviews for Ham, Bean and Potato Soup
"This was a great recipe for a cold day. I didn't have celery so I used a can of cream of celery. Very yummy."
"This soup was so easy and quick to make. Made exactly as recipe stated, so this is an accurate review. Very hearty, definitely will make this recipe again ."
"My husband and I enjoyed this delicious soup, it has great flavor, This will be a go to recipe for ham and bean soup. Thank You."
"Mmm, mmm, mmm......talk about home cookin'!!!!!! This soup had a wonderful authenticity to it's flavor! I slow cooked a ham bone in the crockpot for about 8-10 hrs. with the rest of the ingredients except I substituted kale for the peas and added one bay leaf. Wow! Simply delicious!"
"This soup is delicious. I double the recipe."
"husband and I enjoyed"
"Great flavor. My husband isn't a huge fan of beans, but he really enjoyed this. I was in a hurry, so I only added the potatoes for the veggies, and had extra ham so put that in too. I also left out the butter and used chicken bullion cubes to make broth."
"It's a winner! It is easy to make and delicious tasting. Thanks."
"I double the recipe and add cubed turkey. Great Soup!!!"