- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 6 thin slices deli ham
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
- Hot cooked rice
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Top each piece with a slice of ham and cheese. Roll up tightly; secure with toothpicks. In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Roll chicken in flour mixture; refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a large skillet, brown roll-ups in oil on all sides; transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Combine the soup and wine or broth; pour over chicken.
Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until meat is longer pink. Remove roll-ups and stir sauce. Discard toothpicks. Serve with rice.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled chicken roll-up and sauce in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, gently stirring and adding a little broth or milk if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Ham & Swiss Chicken Roll-Ups
"Made it the first time with some ham I had in the 'fridge....it was a honey roasted ham. I liked the recipe so much (no thanks to this ham) That I made it again, changing nothing but the ham to a fresh black forest from the Deli and wow amazing how just changing the ham made such a difference. Very nice thank you for sharing your recipe"
"This was very good I felt the flavor was a little bland so I added some fresh herbs. I added chopped sage thyme and rosemary. My guests loved it. ,!,"
"I have made this many times in the past. My husband and I both love it. Only change I make is I use provolone cheese instead of swiss since I don't like swiss."
"<p>Whoever the chef is for this recipe should know better-it is not Saltimbocca unless there is sage with a white wine reduction sauce. No deli ham, no swiss cheese. It should be prosciutto and provolone, definitely no parmesan cheese, no cream of chicken. The photo's chicken looks thicker than 1/4". The only thing correct about this recipe is that it is rolled.</p>"
"I am not a ham eater but in this recipe it gives it such a good taste. Make sure to pound the chicken out thin, I did not and it was a challenege to roll. I would definatly make this again."
"I made mine with white wine. If I were to make it again, I would use chicken broth instead."
"I would make this again but I prefer to use a different cheese. Very good!"
"I noticed that TOH has another version of a chicken Saltimbocca recipe. I liked the ingredients better in this one and tried it yesterday (along with TOH's Mini Toffee Rolls). What a wonderful meal. This chicken dish is so delicious. Instead of rice, I made a side dish of stuffing which I topped with the fabulous sauce. This is definitely a keeper recipe."