Ham & Swiss Bread Pudding Recipe
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 18 slices day-old French bread (3/4 inch thick), divided
- 1/2 cup stone-ground mustard
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 cups (8 ounces ) shredded Swiss cheese
- 8 eggs
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Warm maple syrup, optional
- 1. Pour 1/4 cup butter into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; set aside. Spread both sides of bread with mustard. Arrange nine slices in baking dish.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute the ham, mushrooms and garlic in remaining butter until mushrooms are tender. Add the onions; cook 1 minute longer or until onions are crisp-tender. Spoon over bread; sprinkle with cheese. Arrange remaining bread on top. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, cream, salt and pepper. Stir in parsley; pour over bread.
- 3. Place dish in a larger baking pan. Fill larger pan with hot water to a depth of 1 in. Bake at 325° for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Drizzle with maple syrup if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
1 piece: 858 calories, 69g fat (41g saturated fat), 415mg cholesterol, 1152mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 31g protein .
Reviews for Ham & Swiss Bread Pudding
"I make the Kings Hawaiian bread version of this recipe. I make it several times a month. Nutmeg is my secret ingredient with most ham dishes including this one. It really makes a difference. If bread (or rolls) are fresh...cut into 1" CUBES AND TOAST IT FOR 8-10 minutes in 350 F oven."
"This recipe is very good, but I made some changes: No butter, I used non-stick spray for the pan. I didn't saute the ham, garlic and onions; I just chopped it up and put it in the casserole. I swapped out fresh spinach for the mushrooms. And I used egg substitute. It needed to bake a good 30 minutes longer than the recipe called for. The surprise is the taste of a hearty mustard with the lightness of the bread pudding. Great recipe and it's nice to have something new for dinner."