This rich and hearty brunch dish is loaded with ham, mushrooms and cheese, plus layers of sliced French bread. It’s a terrific choice when you have overnight guests.
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 18 slices day-old French bread (3/4 inch thick), divided
- 1/2 cup stone-ground mustard
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 cups (8 ounces ) shredded Swiss cheese
- 8 eggs
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Warm maple syrup, optional
- Pour 1/4 cup butter into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; set aside. Spread both sides of bread with mustard. Arrange nine slices in baking dish.
- In a large skillet, saute the ham, mushrooms and garlic in remaining butter until mushrooms are tender. Add the onions; cook 1 minute longer or until onions are crisp-tender. Spoon over bread; sprinkle with cheese. Arrange remaining bread on top. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, cream, salt and pepper. Stir in parsley; pour over bread.
- Place dish in a larger baking pan. Fill larger pan with hot water to a depth of 1 in. Bake at 325° for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Drizzle with maple syrup if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Ham & Swiss Bread Pudding in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2009, p30
Reviews for Ham & Swiss Bread Pudding
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review