"I altered this recipe to include ham and spinach and I think it created a well-rounded meal guaranteed to win you rave reviews!" Genise Krause, Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin
- 1 package (16 ounces) medium pasta shells
- 3 large onions, halved and sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package (9 ounces) fresh spinach, torn
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook and stir onions in oil for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Add spinach and rosemary; cook 1-2 minutes longer or until spinach is wilted.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in ricotta and goat cheeses until blended.
- Drain pasta; place in a large bowl. Add the ham, onion mixture and sauce; toss to coat.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 12 servings (1 cup each).
Originally published as Ham & Shells Casserole in Taste of Home December/January 2009, p19
Reviews for Ham & Shells Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review