- 1 package (16 ounces) medium pasta shells
- 3 large onions, halved and sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package (9 ounces) fresh spinach, torn
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook and stir onions in oil for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Add spinach and rosemary; cook 1-2 minutes longer or until spinach is wilted.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in ricotta and goat cheeses until blended.
- Drain pasta; place in a large bowl. Add the ham, onion mixture and sauce; toss to coat.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 12 servings (1 cup each).
Reviews for Ham & Shells Casserole
Sort By :
very good I added bread crumbs on top
We added several good shakes of Penzey's Northwoods seasoning (in addition to the rosemary) to the sauce for extra punch. We loved it. Be sure to use a good quality ham for this (not a pressed, canned variety) for best flavor. You may be generous with the ham, spinach & onions if you like - the recipe can handle it.
I found this recipe tasteless. My family asked me to not make it again.
I've been using this as my go-to recipe for a meal to take to new moms. It has been a hit with everybody so far....
in my store goat cheese was right next to feta cheese
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Ham >
- Baked Pasta >
- Baking Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ham Casserole Recipes >
- Ham Recipes >
- Kids Lunch Recipes >
- Pasta & Sauces >
- Pasta Dinners >