- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chopped fully cooked ham
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large saucepan, bring water, butter and salt to a boil. Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Drop by 1/4 cupfuls 2 in. apart onto a greased baking sheet. Bake 35 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack. Immediately split puffs open; remove and discard tops and soft dough from inside. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute green pepper and onion in butter until tender. In a medium bowl, beat eggs, salt and pepper. Add to skillet, stirring over medium heat until almost done. Add ham and cheese; stir until eggs are set. Spoon into puffs. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Ham & Egg Brunch Puffs
"Easy dish to make for special occasions."
"This is a great recipe but just as good and easier would be to make popovers and fill them. Believe me it is just as good. The popovers don't need to be hollowed out as they hollow somewhat during cooking. Also, the recipe is easy, just mix butter, eggs, milk and flour and pour into muffin pans, bake and fill.BTW, I would always use bacon or even baked spiced tofu instead of ham. Just my personal preference."
"I loved your explanation of "passing up" from your grandaughter. I hadn't made cream puff shells in years and that is what this reminded me of. This easily could be something you could fill with just about anything you like sweet to savory. Nice recipe."
"i was not happy with this recipe.. the puffs were much smaller than i expected.. and hard to work with .. not worth all the effort, altho still tasty not worth all the effort to me"
"Yum, Yum, Yum!!! Good for your grandaughter. This is soooo good, very elegant too, can be dressed up or down as the meal dictates. Don't discard the tops, put them back on and add a topping. Try it before you rate it. Not fair otherwise & a waste of time for those of us wanting an honest review."
"I an interested in nutrition info...Want to try for a lunch where there is a person who needs to know nutrition info....."
"I don't see how it matters that the puff recipe is the same for that of eclairs. There is no sugar in the puff pastry recipe, making this very versatile for dessert, breakfast, AND dinner recipes. I will be using this puff pastry recipe instead of buying the frozen kind for a host of different recipes. Thank you for sharing!"
"Great combination! You can do a lot of different things with puff pastry. Thanks for sharing this recipe."
"I think the problem with this recipe is that it says to discard tops and soft dough and then shows the picture with the top on. We who have made Cream Puffs would know this."
"Why post a review if you haven't tried it!"