Ham & Cheese Strata with Sun-Dried Tomatoes Recipe
Brimming with ham, cheese and sun-dried tomatoes, this pretty breakfast casserole feeds a crowd while adding visual appeal to your brunch's spread. It's elegant comfort food at its best.—Kim Deane, Fenton, Missouri
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil), chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced chives
- 1 loaf sourdough bread (1 pound), crust removed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1. In a small bowl, mix ham, tomatoes, parsley and chives. In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer half of each of the following: bread cubes, ham mixture and cheese. Repeat layers.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, cream and seasonings; pour over layers. Drizzle with melted butter. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- 3. Preheat oven to 350°. Remove strata from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. (Cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly.) Let stand 5-10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece equals 336 calories, 17 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 256 mg cholesterol, 895 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 19 g protein.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC