Ham & Cheese Sandwich Loaf Recipe
- 1 loaf sourdough bread (1 pound)
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound shaved deli ham
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Colby cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Cut bread in half horizontally. Hollow out top and bottom halves, leaving 1/2-in. shells. (Discard removed bread or save for another use.)
- 2. In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, peppers, celery and onions in oil until tender. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- 3. Combine the mayonnaise, Italian seasoning and pepper; spread over bread. On the bread bottom, layer half of the ham, vegetable mixture and cheeses. Repeat layers, gently pressing down if needed. Replace bread top.
- 4. Wrap tightly in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 400° or grill, covered, over medium heat for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Cut into wedges with a serrated knife. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 437 calories, 22g fat (6g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 1097mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 23g protein.
Reviews for Ham & Cheese Sandwich Loaf
"This is one of my favorite TOH recipes, I have made it several times. I never use a whole pound of ham though. Make sure it doesn't burn in on the bbq!"