Ham & Cheese Sandwich Loaf Recipe
This hearty stacked sandwich is full of great flavor. The crusty bread is filled with melted cheese, crisp vegetables and tender ham. It's sure to be a party favorite! —Pat Stevens, Granbury, Texas
- 1 loaf sourdough bread (1 pound)
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound shaved deli ham
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Colby cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Cut bread in half horizontally. Hollow out top and bottom halves, leaving 1/2-in. shells. (Discard removed bread or save for another use.)
- 2. In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, peppers, celery and onions in oil until tender. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- 3. Combine the mayonnaise, Italian seasoning and pepper; spread over bread. On the bread bottom, layer half of the ham, vegetable mixture and cheeses. Repeat layers, gently pressing down if needed. Replace bread top.
- 4. Wrap tightly in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 400° or grill, covered, over medium heat for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Cut into wedges with a serrated knife. Yield: 8 servings.
1 wedge equals 437 calories, 22 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 1,097 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 23 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC