Ham & Cheese Sandwich Loaf Recipe
- 1 loaf sourdough bread (1 pound)
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound shaved deli ham
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Colby cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Cut bread in half horizontally. Hollow out top and bottom halves, leaving 1/2-in. shells. (Discard removed bread or save for another use.)
- 2. In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, peppers, celery and onions in oil until tender. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- 3. Combine the mayonnaise, Italian seasoning and pepper; spread over bread. On the bread bottom, layer half of the ham, vegetable mixture and cheeses. Repeat layers, gently pressing down if needed. Replace bread top.
- 4. Wrap tightly in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 400° or grill, covered, over medium heat for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Cut into wedges with a serrated knife. Yield: 8 servings.
1 wedge equals 437 calories, 22 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 1,097 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 23 g protein.
Reviews for Ham & Cheese Sandwich Loaf
"This is one of my favorite TOH recipes, I have made it several times. I never use a whole pound of ham though. Make sure it doesn't burn in on the bbq!"
"This sandwich is great, my entire family loves it. The ease in preperation of this recipe, makes this a good weeknight dinner."