Ham & Cheese Grits Casserole Recipe
My book club ladies often ask me to bring “those grits.” I'd tell you how to store them, but I never have any left! — Debi Mitchell, Flower Mound, Texas
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1/2 cup Southwestern-style egg substitute
- 5 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/4 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, bring stock to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, about 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. In a small bowl, stir a small amount of hot grits into egg substitute; return all to pan, mixing well.
- 2. Add process cheese, milk and butter; stir until cheese is melted. Stir in ham, green onions and seasonings. Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until edges are golden brown and cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
1 piece equals 284 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 1,212 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 20 g protein.
Reviews for Ham & Cheese Grits Casserole
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC