Ham & Cheese Grits Casserole Recipe
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1/2 cup Southwestern-style egg substitute
- 5 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/4 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, bring stock to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, about 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. In a small bowl, stir a small amount of hot grits into egg substitute; return all to pan, mixing well.
- Add process cheese, milk and butter; stir until cheese is melted. Stir in ham, green onions and seasonings. Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until edges are golden brown and cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Ham & Cheese Grits Casserole(4)
Sort By :
This was pretty good but a bit too salty for me (and I love salty foods!). Could have used more veggies, such as bell peppers, as another reviewer suggested.
I made this recipe for a Sunday Brunch. I was delicious. I added a couple cloves of fresh,chopped garlic for an extra zing.
Delicious. My first experience with grits! I thought it was a little salty; next time I will omit the added salt and perhaps add less ham. Would be good with some finely chopped green or red peppers too.
This is soooo good. Made it today for breakfast. Changed from ham to bacon, my husband really liked it. Next time I want to use less grits and add quinoa my husband thinks I should add potatoes too. It is very good the way it is I like to think of new ways to use quinoa since it is so good for us plus we are gluten free and always looking for ways of making things healthier.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Breakfast Egg Recipes >
- Breakfast Recipes >
- Brunch Egg Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Comfort Food Breakfast Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Egg Recipes >
- Eggs Recipes >
- Ham Recipes >
- Low Fat Breakfast Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Mexican Breakfast >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Mother's Day Breakfast Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Breakfast Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Cheese Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Comfort Food Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Egg Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Low Fat Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Mexican Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Pork Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Breakfast >
- Taste of Home Magazine Brunch Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >