- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1/2 cup Southwestern-style egg substitute
- 5 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/4 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, bring stock to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, about 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. In a small bowl, stir a small amount of hot grits into egg substitute; return all to pan, mixing well.
- Add process cheese, milk and butter; stir until cheese is melted. Stir in ham, green onions and seasonings. Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until edges are golden brown and cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Ham & Cheese Grits Casserole
Sort By :
Excellent breakfast dish! Great way to use up leftover Easter ham! Now I did use real cheese mild cheddar instead of the fake cheese and fat free milk. I did not have southwest type of egg substitute so I used plain egg substitute and added two tablespoons of salsa. This recipe cuts in half very well for a smaller crowd.
This was extremely good, very pleasing to the palette! I like the green onion addition with the crush red pepper flakes. I added some Parmesan to give it a little more kick as well.
This was pretty good but a bit too salty for me (and I love salty foods!). Could have used more veggies, such as bell peppers, as another reviewer suggested.
I made this recipe for a Sunday Brunch. I was delicious. I added a couple cloves of fresh,chopped garlic for an extra zing.
Delicious. My first experience with grits! I thought it was a little salty; next time I will omit the added salt and perhaps add less ham. Would be good with some finely chopped green or red peppers too.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Breakfast Egg Recipes >
- Breakfast Recipes >
- Brunch Egg Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Comfort Food Breakfast Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Egg Recipes >
- Eggs Recipes >
- Ham Recipes >
- Low Fat Breakfast Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Mexican Breakfast >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Breakfast Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Cheese Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Comfort Food Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Egg Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Low Fat Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Mexican Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Pork Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Breakfast >
- Taste of Home Magazine Brunch Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >