- 1-1/2 pounds potatoes (about 3 medium), peeled and diced
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3-1/2 cups whole milk
- 4 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- Minced chives and coarsely ground pepper, optional
- Place potatoes and baking soda in a large saucepan. Add water to cover; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until potatoes are tender, 6-8 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup potato water.
- In same pan, heat butter over medium heat; saute onion until tender, 2-4 minutes. Stir in flour until blended; cook and stir 2 minutes. Gradually stir in milk and reserved potato water. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in cheeses until melted. Stir in ham and potatoes; heat through. If desired, sprinkle with chives and pepper. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Ham & Cheese Chowder in Simple & Delicious December/January 2017
Reviews for Ham & Cheese Chowder
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 20, 2017
"Excellent recipe. Yum! Restaurant quality."