Ham & Asparagus Casserole Recipe
"I love to try out new recipes on my family. I'm always looking for ways to incorporate some of my favorite vegetables in with my main dishes, and this one was a success!" Rachel Kowasic - Connellsville, PA
- 3-3/4 cups uncooked yolk-free whole wheat noodles
- 2-1/2 cups cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked lean ham
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup french-fried onions
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add asparagus. Cover and cook for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute the chopped onion in butter until tender. Combine the flour, thyme and pepper; gradually whisk in milk and broth until smooth. Add milk mixture to the skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice.
- 3. Drain noodles; add the ham, parsley, sauce and asparagus. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with fried onions and cheese.
- 4. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until bubbly. Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/2 cups equals 343 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 946 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 22 g protein.
Reviews for Ham & Asparagus Casserole
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC