- 6 eggs
- 3 cups hot water
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 12 sliced ripe olives
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
- Place eggs in a single layer in a large saucepan; add enough cold water to cover by 1 in. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Place in ice water until completely cooled. Gently crack eggs (do not peel).
- In a large bowl, combine 3 cups hot water, food coloring and vinegar. Add eggs. (If eggs are not completely covered by colored water, add more hot water.) Let stand for 30 minutes. Remove eggs with a slotted spoon; peel.
- Cut eggs in half widthwise. Place yolks in a small bowl; set whites aside. Mash yolks with a fork; stir in the mayonnaise, onions, cilantro and mustard.
- To level egg white halves, cut a small slice from the bottom of each; place on a serving platter. Pipe or stuff yolk mixture into center of whites. Place an olive slice on each; fill olives with ketchup. Refrigerate until serving. This recipe is best eaten the day it is prepared. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for Halloween Eyeball Appetizer
"These were pretty tasty. Probably not my favorite deviled egg recipe, but still pretty good. Instead of ketchup I used a small piece of yellow bell pepper. I like the presentation of these, so I'd probably make them again."
"This is the best idea ever. I will need to let the red dye dry this time. I used my own filling recipe and a bit of red pepper for the middle of the eye. But they were beautiful to put on the breakfast plate for Halloween morning."
"These were cool, but my eggs didn't have anywhere NEAR the amount of red as in the picture, so most folks didn't quite get the bloodshot eyes. Not sure if I didn't crack the eggs enough or didn't leave them long enough in the dye...? Also, the ketchup with the deviled eggs is not really my cup of tea (too sweet), so next time I might try dying some cream cheese red and using that... Great idea, though!"
"Everyone loved these! And they were so much easier than they looked. I'll definitely make these again next Halloween."
"These were delicious and very clever!!"
"Every time I have something to bring to a family gathering, this recipe is in high demand; excellent and easy to follow!"
"I made these last halloween and I am making them again this year. Very good and very cute"
"These were both fun to make and fun to eat! My party guests ate the whole tray of 16."