Halloween Cutout Cookies Recipe
Creativity and Christmas cookie cutters come together for these fun Halloween cookies kids will go batty for. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling YIELD:24 servings
- 1 tube (16-1/2 ounces) refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- Green paste food coloring
- 1 can (16 ounces) chocolate frosting
- Chocolate wafers, crushed Shredded Wheat, M&M's miniature baking bits, miniature semisweet chocolate chips and Fruit Roll-Ups
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Let cookie dough stand at room temperature 5 minutes to soften. In a small bowl, beat cookie dough and flour until combined.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 4-1/2-in. Christmas tree-shaped cookie cutter, a 3-in. candy cane-shaped cookie cutter and a 3-in. star-shaped cookie cutter. Cut each star in half. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- 3. Bake 6-8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. For witches: Tint a portion of vanilla frosting green. Frost the bottom two-thirds of a tree cookie green; frost the top third with chocolate frosting.
- 5. For witches' hats, microwave chocolate wafers for a few seconds to slightly soften as needed. Use a serrated knife to cut a triangle out of one wafer. Cut another wafer in half, forming two hat brims. Place a triangle over chocolate frosting; add a brim.
- 6. Add Shredded Wheat for hair. Add facial features with baking bits, chocolate chips and cut up pieces of Fruit Roll-Ups.
- 7. For snakes: Frost candy cane cookies as desired. Cut Fruit Roll-Ups into triangles; attach to cookies. Add facial features.
- 8. For bats: Frost halved star cookies with chocolate frosting. For ears, microwave chocolate wafers for a few seconds to slightly soften as needed. Use a serrated knife to cut small triangles; attach to cookies. Add facial features as desired. Yield: about 2 dozen.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC