Halloween Acorn Squash Soup Recipe
- 7 slices pumpernickel bread
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Dash salt
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 3 cups mashed cooked acorn squash
- Additional cayenne pepper, optional
- 1. Cut pumpernickel bread with bat- or cat-shaped 3-1/2-in. cookie cutters; discard scraps. Melt 2 tablespoons butter. In a small bowl, combine the butter, oil and salt; brush over both sides of cutouts. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 300° for 10-15 minutes or until crisp and toasted. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- 2. In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in remaining butter until tender. Stir in the flour, bouillon, dill, curry and cayenne until blended. Gradually add broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in squash; heat through. Cool slightly.
- 3. In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return to the pan; heat through. Garnish servings with bat or cat cutouts; sprinkle with additional cayenne if desired. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews for Halloween Acorn Squash Soup
"Just made this soup and it's wonderful. Tastes delicious on a cool, fall and rainy day!"
"This was fantastic! Just like Ohio 46, I used Butternut Squash because it was what I had on hand. Worked wonderfully. I upped the Cayenne to 1/4 tsp because of our personal tastes and could have even used more. I kept the curry at 1/4 tsp. as stated and would recommend using that as a starting point unless you are really into curry. Very nice fall flair."
"This is a great soup. I just wanted to add that butternut squash works even better than the acorn squash as it is much less "stringy". I am a firm believer in use what you have and what your family prefers so try either one and you won't be disappointed."
"Great on a cold day. Great flavor!"