Halloween Acorn Squash Soup Recipe
Add this warming soup to your next "boo-fest" and your guests are sure to enjoy it! —Dorrene Butterfield, Chadron, Nebraska
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:7 servings
- 7 slices pumpernickel bread
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Dash salt
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 3 cups mashed cooked acorn squash
- Additional cayenne pepper, optional
- 1. Cut pumpernickel bread with bat- or cat-shaped 3-1/2-in. cookie cutters; discard scraps. Melt 2 tablespoons butter. In a small bowl, combine the butter, oil and salt; brush over both sides of cutouts. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 300° for 10-15 minutes or until crisp and toasted. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- 2. In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in remaining butter until tender. Stir in the flour, bouillon, dill, curry and cayenne until blended. Gradually add broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in squash; heat through. Cool slightly.
- 3. In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return to the pan; heat through. Garnish servings with bat or cat cutouts; sprinkle with additional cayenne if desired. Yield: 7 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC