Halibut Soft Tacos Recipe
- 1 medium mango, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup cubed avocado
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 pound halibut steaks (3/4 inch thick)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 Bibb lettuce leaves
- 4 flour tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- 4 teaspoons sweet Thai chili sauce
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the mango, avocado, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, 2 teaspoons oil, lemon juice and honey; set aside. Brush halibut with remaining oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 2. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack. Grill halibut, covered, over high heat or broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 3-5 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- 3. Place lettuce leaves on tortillas; top with fish and mango mixture. Drizzle with chili sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
1 taco with 1/3 cup mango mixture : 330 calories, 12g fat (1g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 648mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein Diabetic Exchanges:2 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
Reviews for Halibut Soft Tacos
"These were a surprise hit with my family. Very light and refreshing. Great summer recipe."
"Good. Didn't use chili sauce. Topped with sour cream and Mexican red sauce."
"Yum, yum. Skipped the Thai chili sauce, used corn tortillas, and ate the leftover salsa the next day. I made this recipe twice in three days. Delicious!"
"I loved the idea of this recipe, but it seemed a little flat-tasting when I made it. So I added juice from a whole lime, a little salt (maybe 1/4 tsp) and some fresh ginger (1 T). Awesome! This will be a summer favorite!"
"does anyone know if the nutrition information includes the taco shells?"
"Tasty! I used jarred jalapenos and white onions. Used a whole avocado, I'm not quite sure how many to use for half a cup but the salsa came out almost like a guacamole."
"Took the advice of fellow reviewers and skipped the chili sauce. These are FANTASTIC! Very summer-y and restaurant-quality taste profile."
"This is DELICIOUS! Such a refreshing summer dish. Love the Mango and Avocado in it."
"These are simply amazing! Only reason I didn't rate 5 stars is because I forgot the chili sauce! We used cod since it was less expensive and white onion instead of red. I also substituted lime juice for lemon...the lime was a good compliment to the mango! My 5 and 2 year old loved them too!"
"We loved them. We did use the Thai Chili Sauce. It is not a really hot sauce, it is more sweet than hot. I personally prefered the tacos without the Chili Sauce. I felt it covered up the wonderful flavors of the Mango Salsa."
"The only thing we didn't use was chili sauce because I wasn't sure how hot it was. Turned out great! I can't wait to make them again! I highly recommend this recipe!"
"AWESOME !!!! Planning a party and the menu is based around these taco's - Family loved them - I did not use and chili sauce, hubby tried it and felt they were better w/out - A keeper !!!"
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.