Halibut Enchiladas Recipe
- 3 pounds halibut fillets
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (10 ounces) hot enchilada sauce
- 1 can (10 ounces) green enchilada sauce
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) mild enchilada sauce
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 24 flour tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped ripe olives
- 1. Place fillets on a greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and cayenne. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 3. Flake fish with two forks; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the hot enchilada sauce, green enchilada sauce, sour cream, mayonnaise, chilies, onion mixture and fish. Spread 1/2 cup mild enchilada sauce into each of two greased 13x9-in. baking dishes. Sprinkle each with 1 cup cheese.
- 4. Place a heaping 1/3 cup halibut mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll up each and place seam side down over cheese. Pour remaining sauce over top.
- 5. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with the green onions, olives and remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 12 servings.
2 each: 658 calories, 40g fat (13g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 1552mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 40g protein.
Reviews for Halibut Enchiladas
"Great recipe - I had to cut the portion in half making it for two with leftovers to freeze. I ommitted mayo and added more sour cream and pepper jack cheese, a little lime to cooked fish, and cilantro at the end. Also did not mix the fish with the sauce, but put on the tortiillas with the sauce pured over. Loved it! Will definitely make it again - would be good with chicken too."
"Have a chicken enchilada recipe that's very similar to this. Had never thought of using fish for some reason. Tried this substituting a mild white fish. Worked great. Love halibut however when when we can find it here it's pushing $20/lb. Lucky you that you have it locally! Thanks for the idea/recipe."
"Great sounding recipe. Thanks!"