Haddock Clam Chowder Recipe
We modified a recipe shared by Doris Berquist of Fort Mohave, Arizona to take advantage of leftover cooked fish. The seafood soup is wonderful served with warm homemade bread.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 4 strips bacon, diced
- 3 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 teaspoon celery seed, crushed
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups milk, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups cubed cooked haddock
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 can (6-1/2 ounces) minced clams
- 1. In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Remove to paper towels; set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute onions and celery in drippings for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add the potatoes, broth, dill, celery seed, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add 2-1/2 cups of milk.
- 3. Combine flour and remaining milk; stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. add the haddock, cream, spinach and clams. Cook and stir until heated through. Garnish with bacon. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 883 calories, 86 g fat (52 g saturated fat), 266 mg cholesterol, 1,526 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 16 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC