Habichuelas (Red Beans)
My grandmother gave me the recipe for this traditional red bean dish. It's been a tried-and-true standby in my family for years. It's best served as a side, usually with white rice, and goes well with any entree.
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 2 tablespoons Sofrito (recipe also in Recipe Finder)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 envelope Goya sazon with coriander and annatto
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a large skillet, cook Sofrito in oil over medium-low heat for 5
- minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the water, beans, potatoes, tomato sauce, sazon, salt and pepper;
- bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or
- until potatoes are tender. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 4
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup (calculated without rice) equals 207 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 592 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 10 g protein.