Habichuelas (Red Beans) Recipe
My grandmother gave me the recipe for this traditional red bean dish. It's been a tried-and-true standby in my family for years. It's best served as a side, usually with white rice, and goes well with any entree.
- 2 tablespoons Sofrito
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 envelope Goya sazon with coriander and annatto
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, cook Sofrito in oil over medium-low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Add the water, beans, potatoes, tomato sauce, sazon, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
3/4 cup (calculated without rice): 207 calories, 3g fat (trace saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 592mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 7g fiber), 10g protein
Reviews for Habichuelas (Red Beans)
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC